Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 8th

Pants are harder to fit, so it's not surprising that I have fewer self-made pants than skirts. This pair of white-and-navy striped capris was a UFO for many years. I think I started it in college, had fit issues, and put them aside until a couple years ago. When I tackled them again, either my waist had grown or the waist was the original fit issue. I debated for a while between finishing them off as they were and giving them to a slimmer friend or trying to make them work for me. I decided to try to get them to fit me. The waistband was already attached to the pants. I had to take it off, make the side seams a little shallower, and put the waistband back on. It was supposed to overlap by a couple inches, but as you can see, it barely does.
I'm on the fence about whether the thigh area of the pants is flattering. As I mentioned, I made the seams shallower, adding about 1/2" on each hip and thigh, and I think maybe they would look better if they were a little slimmer. But I'm lazy, and they allow me a good range of motion, so I think I'll leave them as they are.

To complete the outfit, I just put this blue top on along with a necklace I liberated from my mom's jewelry box last spring. It has fake Roman coins on it. She probably got it when she was my age. I like the simplicity, and I feel really good in this. For a long time, I had this idea that because my body is a certain shape, I "shouldn't" wear certain kinds of garments (including slim-fitting pants). But recently, I've decided this is silly. If I want to look like I have smaller hips and thighs, this is probably not the way to go, but who's to say I should want that? I don't know why it took me so long to think about things that way.
"Beauty is everywhere. Pay attention." So says the sign in the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment