Early last year, I reposted one of those chain "comment on my post and I'll make something for you" things on facebook. Back in February, I made a tote bag for a friend who had commented on that. She has two adorable daughters, and I wanted to include something for them. Now, 11 months later, I have finally done that. I made these two flower hair clips out of the same fabrics I used for the tote.
These were from the same McCall's pattern set I have used for other pins. I made the one with the purple on the outside first and learned why they have you hand-gather. I'm a lazy hand-sewist, so I always do things on the machine if possible. I machine-gathered instead, and I could not get it short enough to roll into a nice flower shape, so I had to double it. (It's like a cone point of angle 4π, but the identification doesn't quite work at the ends.) In these pictures, you can see how one of the pins has one layer and one has two. I do think the hand-gathered one is better, but the machine one looks OK too, at least in my opinion.
The glue is still drying on the hair clip attachment, but I hope I can get it in the mail tomorrow.
I'm really glad to be back in the sewing room. I hope that I get a nice rhythm going on my sewing projects. In the search for the fabric I was using last night, I saw so many pieces of fabric I had bought with such big ideas and haven't gotten around to yet. They aren't even UFOs yet, they're unstarted objects. It makes me feel a little sad when I see how much I've bought without using, but I am also happy with how much I've done with some other things, like scraps I've been making into baby bibs and the leftovers from my wedding dress and my sister's bridesmaids dresses, which have been used for many placemats. (More bibs and placemats in the works this year, too!)
In other news, I'm taking a stained glass class right now. I got a Groupon for a class at this store, and I went to my first session today. At the end of the three hours, I had chosen a project, traced it, chosen and labeled the colors and orientations of my glass pieces, cut out the paper pattern, and started cutting the glass. To cut glass, we're just scoring it with a rotary cutting device and then basically cracking it. It's pretty cool. I'm excited to do such a different art project. I hope I like it when I'm finished.