Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Purple twist dress

I love this Vogue dress I made in the fall of 2009, but it has not gotten much wear. It's backless and very shiny, so I don't think there's a way to dress it down much. It makes me feel sexy and fun, and I sometimes wear it around the house. It was pretty easy to make, and I think the twists make it very flattering. It only has a couple pattern pieces, and even though I was a little confused about the topology of the twist details, following the instructions in the packet made it work perfectly. I did make a small error in choosing the size of the pattern. It is a multi-sized pattern, and my top half is in a different envelope than my bottom half. I should have gone with the envelope that had the right bust measurements because it's easier to alter waist/hips, but I went for the one with the right hip measurements and had to extrapolate the top part of the pattern to fit my upper torso. It ended up working fine, but if it hadn't, I would have been kicking myself. The first time I wore this dress for real was to a friend's wedding in July. I paired it with some delicious arm candy.

The only other time I've worn it out of the house was to a Halloween party a few days after I made it. I went as a lady who made herself a dress she liked a lot. I engaged in questionable pursuits like beer pong and taking a picture with my office-mates. The Jolly Green Giant and I were beer pong champions, even though I had never played before. The wrap is a rectangle of fabric that was left after cutting out the pattern. It came in handy for the chilly Halloween night.

No comments:

Post a Comment